Re: PIIX4 stops my DMA...

From: Aaron Tiensivu (mojomofo@mojomofo.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 15:38:20 EST

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 10:01:13AM +0200, Mikael Grahn wrote:
> I compiled the ac6 release of 2.4.0test1. Now i seem to have lost support
> for DMA on my system.
> I just get these messages during boot :
>
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
> PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> PIIX4: chipset revision 1
> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> PIIX4: dma_base is invalid (0xf000)
> ide0: PIIX4 Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)
> PIIX4: dma_base is invalid (0xf000)
> ide1: PIIX4 Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)

I get the same messages on my PPro with the PIIX3 chipset.
My hard drive hung with the busy light on solid soon afterward which resulted
in a lot of bus resets and massive FS corruption until I went back to ac4.

--
Don't rush me, I'm leaving. This wound is, still bleeding,
from the promise of more lies. I'll let go in good time.

Don't expect the waitress to grok sed commands when taking your order.