Loopback (dir->dir) mounting (NOT -o loop)

From: Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 22:30:36 EST

If I'm an idiot and this can already be done somehow please belittle me, show
me the way.

Otherwise, I'd like to hear thoughts about adding loop back mounting
to Linux. What I mean by this is directory to directory mounting like is
available in Solaris via lofs.

Logically:
mount -t ext2 /m/sda/07
mount -t lofs /m/sda/07/var /var
mount -t lofs /m/sda/07/home /home

I've found this very useful and am suprised Linux doesn't already have it.
Why not use symlinks? I do under linux and have suffered, especially if I try
to follow a solid mounting tree, and then repartition, or try to move things.
The problem with symlinks is their absolute location has a tendency of turning
up at the wrong times.

Dave