Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary)

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@cats-chateau.net)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 05:25:01 EST

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>On Wed, 31 May 2000, Kenneth C. Arnold wrote:
>
>[snip]
>> mount cpu2). But can you really hot-swap CPUs just by not scheduling
>> any processes to them? It seems like you'd need to do some BIOS stuff
>> first (I don't have an SMP system, so I don't know this stuff).
>[snip]
>
>Some hardware supports it (We're talking Starfire level here).. But I
>really don't see the use: How many times has a CPU failed on you? Okay,
>maby once... Now.. How many times did it fail with warning and not just
>randomly corrupt kernel structures.. Exactly. :)
>
>I don't think that Linux currently supports any SMPs with asymetric
>clocks, so it wouldn't be useful there..
>
>About the only think I can think of is turning off CPUs on a SMP
>laptop for powermanagement.. :P So unless someone from transmeta speaks
>up about a quad cpu laptop this just sounds like a feature looking for a
>need. (i.e. worthless cruft)

I've seen a system loose 2-3 CPUs after a bad power failure. For some
systems it would be usefull (the system comes up with 3 dead CPUs -
Each is rplaced in the system, then activate them.

There are organizations that just do not tolerate downtime well and
will not permit unscheduled maintenance if it can be avoided.