Re: Cryptography in the kernel

From: Michael D. Crawford (goingware@roadrunner.nf.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 00:17:06 EST

I'm a big fan of cryptography (see http://www.goingware.com/encryption)
but I don't think that including encryption in all kernels by default
would serve the purpose of promoting it.

Part of the problem is that those folks who live in countries where it
is forbidden would either have to stop using it or face the heavy
bootheel of the law.

Having a patchable kernel _and_ numerous mirrors for the crypo patches
would make it easy to sneak it past the border guards.

For most people, though, I advocate providing kernels with the patch
already applied. By that I mean the CDROM distributions. I don't think
it would be too hard for most commercial CDROM distributors to keep
different versions of their products for sale anywhere or in restricted
countries.

It would probably be most helpful to make the process of applying the
patches a little easier for a novice user.

Mike Crawford
http:www.goingware.com
crawford@goingware.com