RE: Cryptography in the kernel

From: Oertel, Tim (Tim.Oertel@usa.xerox.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 15:26:21 EST

From: Edward S. Marshall [mailto:emarshal@logic.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 12:04 PM

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > There are few of these countries now, and they could be
> served by someone
> > downloading the 'official' kernel and removing the crypto
> from it, then
> > putting the new tarball up for FTP.
>
> Exactly. There's no reason that Linus should have to take on
> the workload
> of producing crippled kernels for the sake of functionality that is
> illegal in a dwindling subsection of the world's population.
> If someone
> wants that kind of thing, they're free to make it available;
> just patch it
> with each release, and make the modified tarball available
> for download.
>
> Before decrying "do it for the poor underpriviledged in oppressive
> countries", find out exactly which countries will be
> affected. China is
> the only one that immediately springs to mind. France now
> permits it, so
> that's no longer an issue. Does anyone have a list of
> countries where the
> acquisition/distribution/use of strong cryptography is still illegal?

This looks like a good list, but I haven't used it in any real way,
mostly just browsing:
http://www.gilc.org/crypto/crypto-survey-99.html

and the page above contains lots of crypto news...
http://www.gilc.org/crypto/

HTH

--
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart
he dreams himself your master." - SMAC