Re: pc speaker cant be accessed with no video card in computer

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 00:13:09 EST

Steven Hanley <sjh@wibble.net>:
> Anyway I dont think it would be a good idea to put this proc interface
> (as proc interface is a quick hack) into the mainstream kernel but I do
> think the pc speaker should be available irelevant of video card
> presence.

If there's support for separating out this function, I wrote some
driver code about ten years ago that provides a very complete PC speaker
interface. It's in use in the BSD kernels.

--

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." -- George Washington, in a speech of January 7, 1790