Re: 2.2.16-pre7 kernel panic

From: Peter Blomgren (blomgren@monster.stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 08:42:15 EST

Keith Owens wrote:
> It tries to load the device driver for block-major-8 (SCSI), it cannot
> because the root file system is not mounted yet. Then it tries to open
> root on 08:05 (/dev/sda5), not suprisingly that fails because the SCSI
> driver is not loaded.
>
> If you really want to use a module for your boot device then you have
> to use initrd. It is much easier to build the root device driver into
> the kernel and forget initrd, boot modules are fine for distributions
> but a pain in the neck otherwise.

Thanks. I have built pretty much every pre kernel since 2.2.9, and
since I install them (mostly the 2.2.x-finals) on a wide range of
machines, I _like_ the modules approach. I did create a fresh initrd,
updated lilo.conf, and ran lilo (I did all this twice to rule out
a brain fart on my part). I will take another look at my configs, but
at this point I'm at a loss as to what changed from 2.2.15-final.

--
\Peter.