Re: Cryptography in the kernel (was: Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary))

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 11:23:22 EST

Julian Squires <tek@wiw.org>:
> --OgqxwSJOaUobr8KG
>
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 05:25:25AM -0500, Jesse Pollard wrote:
>> The US always allowed importing. The problem lay in that patches, bugfixes,
>> bug reports, algorithms, and documentation could not be exported. That ment that
>> the entire US development people would be cut off from contributing; leaving
>> all Linux development in Europe, Asia, and Austrailia (near east ...).
>
> US law has changed, actually. This isn't a problem. The problem with the
> US is patents.

True - but at least the bugs, documentation, patches can be exported, and
the API can be available. Even the code can be available - To use it, however,
sometimes requires a license from the patent holder. Usually personal,
non-commercial use is not prevented.

I wasn't meaning to say that that was current policy.