RE: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary)

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 14:17:01 EST

In <Pine.LNX.4.10.10006021258170.5265-100000@fnord.io.com> Bret Indrelee (bret@io.com) wrote:
>> W = wishlist
>> I = important
>> N = needed

> I: Put each driver module into a separate sub-directory of drivers/char or
> drivers/block. Adjust the configuration procedure so it will do a make
> in each subdirectory of these directories.

> W: Move anything that isn't a device driver (such as drivers/pci/*) to
> someplace else. If they don't have read()/write()/ioctl() methods, they
> aren't device drivers and should be located someplace else in the tree.

> Putting each device driver in it's own subdirectory would make a number of
> things easier:
> 1. Easier to add a new driver to the kernel distribution once it is ready.
> 2. Easier to swap in someone else's driver if you prefer that to the
> standard drivers.
> 3. Lots easier for third parties to support hardware that (for whatever
> reason) isn't made part of the kernel distribution.

If someone will clean up this mess then may be he(she) can develop some
STANDARD (across all distrubutions) way to compile driver outside of
source files ? It's possible now but every distributions using it's own
way to do it (where kernel options like SMP/non-SMP stored, which compiler
to use and so on).