Re: 2.3.99pre9 shows wrong partition size?

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 16:07:59 EST

In <20000602212456.A19931@convergence.de> Felix von Leitner (felix@convergence.de) wrote:
> I just bought two 60 Gig Maxtor drives and plugged them into my system.
> I ran fdisk on them and created one large partition on each.
        ^^^^^
Hmm.

How large ? Did you verify of created partition size ?

> I created a reiserfs on one of them and df showed, to my dismay:

> Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdc1 26576588 20 25226556 0% /mnt
> /dev/hdd1 26999428 2603008 24396420 10% /fat

> Am I misreading this or is the partition not even half the size of the
> partition?

"Partition is not even half the size of disk" you mean ? It looks so.

> $ fdisk -s /dev/hdd
> 60030432
> $

> Mhhhhh. Any ideas?

Try to use cfdisk and not fdisk. Often fdisk does not work on large disks :-((

> hdc1 is ext2, hdd1 is reiserfs, so this is clearly not a file system
> issue.

It's well-known "large disks" issue. Unfortunatelly large disk detection
involves LOTS of components: BIOS, block drives (IDE here), kernel/userspace
iteraction and so on. So it's not uncommon to have troubles while partitioning
large disks. Once you managed to create proper partitions kernel will work
just fine but it can be non-trivial sometimes :-(