Hardware selection (probably a faq)

From: Larry Colen - Open Source Group (lrc@inow.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 16:36:56 EST

Now that I'm doing a lot of kernel builds I actually need a machine
with some computational horsepower. Since the denizens of this list
have a lot of experience compiling kernels, I would greatly appreciate
advice on where to spend my money and effort for maximum effect.

For example, I've heard that a fast harddrive does more than a fast
processor. Should I spend my money on a good SCSI (how good?), or
try to set up a ram disk that would hold the whole kernel source?

I tried doing a benchmark between my home and work computers and the
K6-2 with 128M of ram and an IDE drive actually seemed faster than
the P-III with SCSI and 256M of ram. I'll need to recheck those tests!
It was theoretically on the same code with the same configuration and
almost all of my services turned off.

Rather than cluttering up the list with posts that probably aren't of
interest to everyone, feel free to send your advice to me directly:
   lrc@red4est.com

   Thanks a bunch
     Larry

--