a HOWTO for how to debug kernel?

From: Nasser Abbasi (nabbasi@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 22:14:09 EST

George Anzinger wrote:

> You want to modify CFLAGS.

I modified the above flag in /usr/src/linux/Makefile and add '-g'

Now, when building kernel using 'make bzImage', it is too big for
lilo:

>lilo
Kernel /boot/vmlinuz is too big

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11573722 Jun 2 20:06 vmlinuz

so, what do I do now?

Is there a HOWTO on how to debug the kernel?? (I read the hacker guide,
and kernel how to, but nothing much in terms of how to debug the kernel).

> To do more than just look at a kernel i.e. actually debug
> it, see the archives. A patch is needed to modify several
> things, including the make file.
>
> George

Any idea about the above, where to get it, etc...

How do people debug the kernel using gdb?

thanks,
Nasser