Re: Does /var/shm still need to be mounted?

From: Christoph Rohland (cr@sap.com)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 04:12:11 EST

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com> writes:

> > I'm not following you. What you talk about is the kernel
> > implementation. I've written the interface the user will see at
> > everything I said is true for it. There is no one-to-one
> > correcpondence between names given to shm_open() and files in the
> > filesystem tree, there are no slashes allowed in the names.
> >

> Interesting. I thought that was the whole purpose of shmfs?

Yes and the glibc implementation wraps the open (2) call into the shm
fs with the function shm_open which does not allow slashes in the
path. Thus the application does not have to know the path to the shm
fs.

We could also supply sys_shm_open and sys_shm_unlink in the kernel. In
this case we would not need to mount the fs at all. But this would
make a bigger kernel API with loosing the ability to use the common
tools like ls and rm for manipulating the POSIX shm namespace.

Greetings
                Christoph

BTW. in my last shm patch I changed the recommended path for the shm
fs to /dev/shm (But please, no flames.)