Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Tom Gilbert (gilbertt@linuxbrit.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 10:45:38 EST

* Jonathan Walther (krooger@debian.org) wrote:
> Using Python isn't the kind of "laughing in the face of danger" they
> admire. After all, Python is a wimpy fru-fru Object Oriented language;
> no self respecting kernel he-man would lower himself to rely on
> one of THOSE to compile his kernel. No sirree bob, its gotta be
> C and gmake all the way, with possibly a bit of bash and tcl
> thrown in.

Urm. Since when was the philosophy of this group "use an inappropriate
tool for the job because that's what Real Men Do"?

The reasons for choosing languages are many, but "because it puts hair
on your chest" should never be among them.

Wimpy fru-fru? Heh. How about "ideally suited to task", or "the fastest
way to a good stable implementation"?

> Although it should soon (I give it 2 years) Python has
> not yet entered the pantheon of "installed on every Unix box"
> tools and utilities.

Well, there's one way to accelerate *that* process, isn't there?

> Good luck getting CML2 into the kernel.

I agree.

Tom.

--