Re: Abit KA7 PCI problems? (Kx133 + es1371)

From: Nathan Thompson (nate@thebog.net)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 10:58:37 EST

Hi!

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 12:23:09PM +0200, Frederic Bouvier wrote:
> John Fulmer wrote:
> >
> > Having a problem with my new Abit Athlon MB.
> >
> > I just replaced a FIC SD-11, which was working just fine, with an
> > identical system, except for the motherboard. Everything works fine
> > (except for a known 'jumping' problem with the KA7's and the PS/2
> > mouse, erk!), except for my ES1371 (Creative AudioPCI) card, which
> > worked fine in the old system. What happens is that everytime the
> > card is accessed for more than a few seconds (like a realaudio
> > stream, or mp3 file), the system locks hard and there is a high
> > pitch tone coming from the card. I have to reset the system to
> > reboot. The magic syskey doesn't even work.

I reported this problem my self a while ago. This is purely a hardware
issue and affects not only linux, but also win98, nt, and win2k. What I
found is that when the machine freezes with the lovely tone from the
speakers, i can ping the machine and it will come back to life. You can
enable the memory hole (15-16mb) in the bios if you use windows (can't
do that in linux unless you only want to use 15megs :) )... Otherwise
you need a different sound card.

Check out alt.comp.perifs.mainboard.abit for more info.

--
Nathan Thompson                             nthompson@bigpixelproductions.com
Big Pixel Productions, Inc.