Re: RFC Maestro-3i

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 15:40:57 EST

Martin Dalecki wrote:

> Just recently I got a nice HP-OmniBook notebook into my hand,
> and guess what? There is tons of new hardware components on.
> In esp the sound/modem card is a Maestro-3i chipset.
> I don't have any illusions about the modem part of it - very unikely
> it will ever whor [work?].

I think when people initially make predictions about winmodem-type
modems not working, they didn't think much about the momentum of cheap
PC hardware and open source.. With so many winmodems out there today,
Linux programmers would inevitably get irked enough to reverse engineer
the hardware support.

In just a year or two, we have gone from "winmodem support is
impossible!" to hardware support for Lucent (and easily added for AC97
modem codecs), and a V.32 protocol stack in the works. Watch
http://www.linmodems.org/ periodically.

> However I got the /dev/mixer support for it
> running by just adapting the Maestro 1,2,2e drivers.
>
> I have the tech doc's about the whole thing.
>
> Now I would like to ask whatever there is already someone working
> on a sound-driver for this thingee or not ?

Talk to Zach Brown, he's the maintainer of the current driver and it
would probably be good to coordinate development with him, or at least
pick his brain a bit. :)

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.