Re: OS stopping stack buffer overflow exploits

From: yoann@mandrakesoft.com
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 16:35:22 EST

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > > No code shown either. And no reason deployed, why we couldn't
> > > code this without trampolines in the old threads.
> >
> > AFAIK, gcc use trampolines for nested function.
>
> Ok can we kill this thread right now
>
> Solar Designer a while back implemented code that handles this using segment
> magic, handles trampolines, remaps C libraries to put an 0x00 in all the
> vectors you might want to patch and hit etc. It isnt standard kernel
> stuff but it is available on the net for those who want it.
>
> So you are arguing about something that has been solved

Sorry for the duplicate without answer :-/

My only real point is that, as it was said many time,
is only giving a false sens of security....
If you want to stop buffer overflow, there is good userspace
solutions.

--
		-- Yoann http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~yoann/
 It is well known that M$ product don't make a free() after a malloc(),