Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: David Luyer (david_luyer@pacific.net.au)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 10:01:55 EST

Hubert Mantel wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 05, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > If your 10Gb oracle database suddenely starts failing on 2.4.1 you are going to
> > want to go back to 2.2.16 promptly without barriers.
>
> If my oracle database lives on a software RAID, I cannot even update to
> 2.2.16 with some distributions.

We had to run Debian kernels on RedHat boxes as a result of this - one of our
mail spools sits on software RAID on a box unfortunate enough to have been
built when we were innocent enough to put RedHat on servers. The RedHat folks
must not care all that much for backwards compatibility. And we've seen that
the reiserfs folks do care about it from their comments here.

(of course, that and other things made us eventually drop RedHat from any new
systems, not much choice in the end really with the lack of features for
automated package management and the poor track record relative to Debian
and standardise on Debian, but regardless - reiserfs offers something
significant to Linux that is not yet available in the same quality elsewhere,
why not include it?)

David.

David Luyer
Senior Network Engineer
Pacific Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd
Phone:  +61 3 9674 7525
Fax:    +61 3 9699 8693
Mobile: +61 4 1064 2258, +61 4 1114 2258
http://www.pacific.net.au        NASDAQ: PCNTF
<< fast 'n easy >>