Re: Abit KA7 PCI problems? (Kx133 + es1371)

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 14:41:09 EST

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, John Fulmer wrote:

> > Solved the PS/2 and ES1371 problems.
>
> Spoke too soon. The PS/2 problem is fixed, but the ES1371 still locks up.
>
> I ended up putting in a SB Live! card I had for another system, configured
> ALSA to use it, and everything works fine.
>
> Moral?: The Abit KA7 + Linux + ES1371 = Lockup. I'll have to try it with
> Win98 to see if it is a hardware thing or a kernel compatibility thing.

I've seen frequent lockups with an ES1371. Someone on l-k mentioned last
week that this is a known hardware issue with ES1371, but pinging the box
tends to cure the problem?

(Aside: I tried this cure, and it didn't work. However, I have the ES1371
on a higher priority IRQ than eth0. In fact, Murphy configured my
interrupts to give the ES1371 the highest priority IRQ allocated...)

The card locks the system up, but pinging the box [thus generating IRQs]
clears it sometimes - but not on a system with eth0 < ES1371. Anyone shed
any more light on this??

James.