Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying reiserfs integration)

From: Xuan Baldauf (technik--reiserfs@exmail.de)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 15:05:36 EST

Just to summarize the discussion a bit:

- ReiserFS 3.5 is designed for Linux2.2, and it is stable
- ReiserFS 3.6 is designed for Linux2.4, and it is stable
- ReiserFS 3.6 kernel code can read and write ReiserFS 3.5 filesystems without
making it incompatible
- ReiserFS 3.6 will be maintained at least as long as Linux2.4 will be current
(for the next 18 months)
- Most new features in Linux2.4 have to be implemented downward compatible (e.g.
the new feature won't be available to older version, but older versions of 2.4.x
will access 2.4.y)
- New features which require incompatibilities are introduced in Linux2.5
- 2.5|2.6 code will access 2.4 filesystems without incompatibilites, as 2.4 code
can access 2.2 filesystems.
- The ReiserFS team will backport ReiserFS3.6 to Linux2.2
- Every ReiserFS version will not attempt to convert to a new, incompatible format
with default options.

There are following conclusions:

- ReiserFS in Linux2.4.x will not make format changes so that it won't be readable
in Linux2.4.y
- ReiserFS in Linux2.5 has the development freedom every other 2.5 component has,
including format changes (if they are really needed)
- common Linux user will benefit from ReiserFS in 2.4 with no problems, but all
its advantages
- For users which are in the 2.2->2.4 upgrade timeframe and need to switch back
and forth, they can do this safely by using the ReiserFS3.5 disk format,
 which is currently supported by ReiserFS for Linux2.2 and Linux2.4. Maybe
mkreiserfs should create the old format (flag) by default, so that a partition
created
 in 2.4 for experiments can be used in 2.2 (when users have reasons to downgrade)
without problems.
- Once ReiserFS 3.6 support for Linux2.2 is stable, mkreiserfs can create the new
format by default. (This is an example for why utils within the kernel are not the
worst idea. ;o))

Correct me please if I'm wrong, but I do not see any problems with reiserfs in
2.2, 2.4 and 2.5 times.

Xuân. :o)

P.S.: For the possible incompatible changes in 2.5, maybe there is an elegant
solution for incompatible down|upgrading: the planned repacker can decide in which
format it wants to write the data it processes. But once a cross-format-repacker
is working, there is also the "traditional" way of converting by using LVM: do
{Shrink the one partition, enlarge the other, copy} while (!old.isEmtpy());