Re: ULTRA ATA/100 announced

From: Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 15:58:54 EST

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Stephen Torri wrote:
> > > If we get ATA/100 then why buy SCSI?
> > There are reasons. There always have been, I doubt that will
> > change.
>
> Those reasons are slowly disappearing however...

        Each has it's uses. Each has capabilities the other does not
(ATA/100, if nothing else, is likely cheaper :) ). There is little
point in argueing over it for what may or may not be good is totally
deterministic on the situation. Perhaps some ATA spec in the future
will out-do SCSI in all aspects, but I find it unlikely. If it does,
though, will it still be cheaper? :) We shall see, for my crystal
ball is foggy now and I am not able to foretell the future currently.

        ;)
                Stephen