Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: Gawain N. E. Lavers (gawain@torque.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 16:45:43 EST

Bryan -TheBS- Smith wrote:

<snip>

> I'm building a new fileserver in July. It will house over half a
> terabyte of data, which will, in all likelihood, be augmented to
> over a Terabyte within a year. This fileserver will be responsible
> for housing the files for a 32-bit SoC (system-on-a-chip) design,
> with Solaris, Linux and NT clients. We throw data around like it
> is a rag doll, checking in files as large as 1GB into CVS.

Our (Torque Systems') experience suggests that unless something radicle
happens, you won't be able to place that terabyte on a single server.
Our attempts have been stymied at precisely the 500 GB mark--not a
megabyte over has succeeded, either in a single partition or multiple
partitions.

Since we're in the business of building such servers, and have received
such demands, this is of great import to us. If you find yourself
experiencing similar problems, or are interested in the issues we have
come across, don't hesitate to contact either myself or the engineer who
has been most involved with this problem (Joe: joe@torque.com).

Joe's initial conclusion was that the problem resided somewhere else in
the kernel--i.e. that it was not ReiserFS related, but I don't know
where it stands currently.

<snip>

--
Gawain Lavers
Software Engineer

19 Heron Street voice: (415) 252-5521 San Francisco, CA 94103 fax : (415) 252-1521