Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs

From: Hans Reiser (hans@reiser.to)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 16:18:19 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > This is just a RedHat bureaucratic excuse to delay reiserfs. Tweedie has long
>
> Hans, Red Hat has _zero_ control in what I work on with Reiserfs. You know
> that so stop treating this list as if its slashdot.
>
> Alan

I wasn't the one who noticed it first, but when it was pointed out I did
acknowledge that you could predict consistently without a single error whether
someone would support or oppose ReiserFS integration by whether they were RedHat
or SuSE. (Expect to see someone from SuSE pan ReiserFS just to prove me wrong
in just a few minutes.:-) )I have to tell you that when the slashdotters moaned
over whether money would corrupt Linux I was dismissive. Observation changed my
opinion of that.

Your hypothesis of distribution neutrality by kernel contributors lacks
empirical
support. I can tell you with some confidence based on close observation and
listening to them
discuss their acquisition planning that the distributions are engaged in a
bitter and contentious battle for control, they spend large amounts of money out
of fear that some code space will fall under control of the other, and their
objective in obtaining control is to influence who is cooperated with and who is
frustrated.

The US Congress also accepts money without being influenced by it.... I think
most Congressmen convince themselves that their votes are not influenced by
campaign contributions.... we are neural nets....

I used to not understand why Linus took the financial loss of not working for
one of the distributions. Now I understand, and admire him for it. He is a
better man than I would have been, and he personally puts a major limit on the
factionalization.

I find the whole business of clicques and factions disgusting. I developed
for Linux first because it was more open. It takes more than a license to make
source
code open.

Hans