Re: via-rhine: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

From: Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 19:44:04 EST

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Marco Colombo wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Urban Widmark wrote:
>
> > Does it send anything at all? (sbin/ifconfig, TX packets)
> > Do you get any interrupts counted in /proc/interrupts?
>
> Sorry for being unclear. The empty line means quite a lot of time.

No problem, but you didn't answer my question :) The /proc/interrupts
question was just to see if it is the same "behaviour" as a different
problem (the misaligned buffer). If the driver gets no interrupts it will
never consider the packets as sent, this will fill the transmit buffer
and it will soon stop sending anything and it will also trigger the
watchdog.

> I run into this problem a few months ago, I believe on a K6, Asus P5A
> system. It worked fine, but a large FTP transfers triggered the same

What kernel version? 2.3.x x = { 40-ish? < x < 51 (52?) } can easily be
made to crash in the via-rhine driver (but runs fine when the traffic is
low). No, wait, you don't test that many 2.3's so you get this with
2.2. Hmm, I don't know.

> It happens with X traffic. I just open a gnome-terminal with
> DISPLAY=some.host:0, choose Preference, Colors, fire the color picker,
> and start moving the color point around with the mouse button held down
> (this makes all the color indicators and the bars move). After a few
> seconds the card hangs. I've managed to get this also playing with the

Can't make it happen here (but then my other box is an old x86). Do you
have a graphics card using the same irq or so?

I'm a little bit out of my depth here, but I think that hardware sharing
resources (irqs) can have a few quirks (ie some hardware/driver doesn't
work well in that mode). Does 'lspci -v' show anything remotely like
that? That win2k also crashes could be a hint that there is a hw cfg
problem. Any funny BIOS settings to play with?

Oh, and you have the card in a bus-master PCI slot? It's not supposed to
work otherwise.

> Now I'll swap the Asus MB with a GA-71XE.

And you got it to work ... could be a hw problem, or just that now things
(irqs) get assigned differently.

/Urban