Re: Alpha 32 bit devices

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 21:05:47 EST

   From: "Lyle Coder" <x_coder@hotmail.com>
   Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 15:34:11 PDT

   Have you actually tried eepro100 on Alpha? Because I am trying to
   get eepro100 to work on my IA64 platform and it fails because in
   speedo_start_xmit gets an skb that is at > 4Gb... and the card is
   only 32 bit, so it fails to send!

The IA64 port should be using the DMA remapping facilities of
the IA64 PCI controllers via pci_map_single et al. if it
has such facilities, else if the hardware lacks these facilities
it needs to use bounce buffers for ram addresses > 4GB.

All of the infrastructure is there to handle arbitrary DMA setups
correctly in PCI drivers, the IA64 port just needs to add the
arch level support for it in whatever way fits those machines.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com