Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 05:49:05 EST

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 02:33:56AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
> I am simple, give me a hook and I'll use it, if not I'll try to avoid making
> demands of others to change their code to accomodate me, and I'll do that by
> using code duplication. Give us a license to change buffer.c code to be more
> general and we will.

That's Linus' call.

> > Another issue is the hook needed to tell the journal
> > about memory pressure (this all has nothing to do with the VFS)
>
> Why shouldn't it be a VFS operation?

I would have used a global hook (register_memory_pressure_handler())
Hmm, ok a super block vector would do too, but the global hook would
be probably useful for other things too (e.g. networking could use it for
its skb caches). Block device interface has nothing to do with the VFS
imho (you may be using a different definition of VFS than me tho)

-Andi