Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 07:59:55 EST

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 07:57:36AM -0300, Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:
> > another 18 months of DEEP innovations planned for it.
> > Standardization bureaucrats should stay out of the way, we need
> > to code.
>
> This is all very cool, but if it means that the on-disk format
> will keep changing every few weeks, I think it may be better to

There was a long discussion on that topic on the reiserfs list, and the
reiserfs developers are _very_ dedicated to keep backwards compatiblity
to the point that you will always be able to read&write your old format
filesystems (the previous major release at least), so there is a defined
upgrade path.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|