Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 11:36:53 EST

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 06:31:26AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:

> > (All four depend in part on putting the right core journal layer there for
> > them all to use)

> This is just a RedHat bureaucratic excuse to delay reiserfs.

Umm, come again? The fairly comprehensive discussions I've had with
Chris Mason about what we need in the VM to support transactions is
obstruction? Or Al Viro's thread last week where he was helping fix
dcache bugs with your guys? Or Ingo's new raid code, specifically
designed to fix the write ordering interactions raid had with journaling
(and I mean all journaling -- this fixes raid for resierfs too) in 2.3?

Hans, in the real world, there are plenty of kernel developers paid by
Red Hat who are cooperating very well indeed with the ReiserFS developers.
It's unfortunate to see how little you seem to value that cooperation.

> Tweedie has long
> suggested that we should use his journaling code, and that his code should form
> some sort of standard journaling layer.

I've long believed it would be a good idea to see what common code could
be developed. Forcing everybody to use a single layer is not in *anyone's*
interest. Solving things like buffer-cache write barriers once, so that
anybody can use that functionality, is most definitely desirable.

> The only problem with that is that he
> showed no interest in making it work for reiserfs, or in tuning it for reiserfs,
> or doing anything else for any FS other than ext2.

Umm, because nobody from ReiserFS asked me to, or suggested anything in
that journaling layer which would need fixing for ReiserFS? This is
suddenly _my_ problem? Bizarre.

> Why don't you help us with ReiserFS instead of standing in the way of people
> trying to program?

Why don't you support the existing cooperation between kernel developers
instead of trashing anyone who is working on a project you perceive as
being a competitor?

Cheers,
 Stephen