Re: (reiserfs) New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Claudio Martins (mart@vega.net.dhis.org)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 18:58:45 EST

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Lars Knudsen wrote:

> I agree 100% with Alan that what goes into the kernel must be done on
> technical grounds. Benchmarks are a part of these technical grounds but
> only a secondary
> concern - first and foremost is the stability!
>
> I know that Reiserfs can be nice and stable and if this is the case for
> everyone that tries it out I am all for adding it to the kernel (not
> that my opinion matters). If some people are having problems with the
> stability or Linus thinks it will cause stability problems to add it
> this late in the development cycle, then it should be
> left out.

 Hi, I have been using ReiserFS for months in a partition on my machine
and I confess that when I patched the kernel for it I didn't expect to get
such a good working filesystem.

Guys, it really works _very_ fine and has better performance than
ext2. And when it comes to system crashes (due to hardware problems,
obviously :), I wish I had all my partitions already in ReiserFS format!

But IMHO, what I see happening here is the killing of open source
spirit -- with the very low support given to a new and useful piece of
code like such as that. Everybody can help to code the kernel, and if it
is useful to someone somewhere we let it get in, right? One of the
strengths of Linux and open source in general is diversity, freedom and
possibility of choice from various tools for all purposes (unlike in M$
world).

I've been using linux for about 1 year and a half, and I think I have seen
code with more bugs and with less maturity than ReiserFS get into the
kernel! OK, no problem, put a note in front of it
saying: "Experimental: read help!" - that has happened before.
Why so much fear about including it into mainstream? Ext2 will always be
there. I you don't want to use reiserfs go ahead and use the traditional
ext2. And BTW at this point ext2 has the same potential to hurt your disk
data or even more.

We have seen that the ReiserFS team is a good one, and if they managed to
get such a young project to such a good level, I think we're to have an
excellent FS in the near future. Keep up the good work Hans et all and I
hope to see ReiserFS in 2.4 :)