Re: via-rhine: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 19:49:30 EST

"David M. Anderson" wrote:

> I am having the same problems with a Tyan Tiger 100 S1832DL with 2 PII
> 400Mhz processors, 64 MB of ram, and the net card in question is a
> Realtek 8139 chipset (KT Networks KF-230TX/2 100Mbps card). Until I
> stumbled on this thread I hadn't tracked the problem to any extent, it
> only happened twice since I upgraded from 2.2.14 to 2.2.15. It seems to
> only happen when I have Humminbird Exceed with a open session, the other
> adapter a 3Com 3c900b doesn't appear to do it, but I don't run remote X
> sessions over that adapter either. Its my connection to the cable
> modem, so it generally is larger packet traffic like mail and occasional
> web sessions. Next time it happens I will post the more info to the
> list if need be.

Actually this is totally unrelated... The "NETDEV WATCHDOG" messages
only exist in recent 2.3.x/2.4.x kernels.

The rtl8139 driver in 2.2.x kernels has a known problem with transmit
timeouts (note the slightly different error text). If network activity
stops for you, you can do a "ifdown eth0 ; ifup eth0" to reset the card.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.