Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Andrew Lenharth (adl@cs.washington.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 23:51:53 EST

> What stops you from creating a ReiserFS-patched kernel to be distributed as
> a (non-standard) .deb?

Why non-standard? Anyway, potato (the soon to be released debian) already
suffers from a plentifor of specially pached kernel. -idepci, -ide,
-compact, as well as way to many seperate paches. This doesn't change the
fact that not being in the kernel means yet another release without any
real choice of main filesystems in the default kernel. Not being in the
kernel directly causes users not to have a choice which filesystem they
use. And NO, most users don't patch and compile their own kernels and
filesystem tools.

> Strange. I've seen no end of reasons why ReiserFS is _not_ ready for the
> kernel right now... you must be reading another l-k than I do.

reiserfs is a well tested filesystem used in production enviroments. It
has VERY responsive developers. It is the only real alternative to ext2
right now. None of the other journalling filesystems will be ready for
2.4. You know that. reiser is ready now. Hans et al have said they
would be happy to work on a shared journalling subsystem. In 2.5 and
reiser4. That is in the future, when we are looking at at least 3 stable
journalling fs. Right now, there is only one.