linux 2.4.0test1-ac[7-10] aic7xxx driver problem

From: Kimball Thurston (kimball@sgrail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 23:59:11 EST

Hey,

  I am seeing a selection timeout infinite loop in the aic7xxx driver
when I boot 2.4.0test1-ac7 thru -ac10, whether it is compiled as a
module (loaded at boot time or later), or built in to the kernel. I have
an adaptec 2940 (lspci reports "Adaptec AHA-294x / AIC-7871 (rev 03)"),
and it is timing out on scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, Inquiry 00 00 00
ff 00. ID 0 is a valid drive - or at least it works fine in
2.4.0test1-ac2 (my home directory). It is an older drive - few years -
so I tried changing the selection timeout, and that seemed to have no
effect.

I wandered through the patches briefly (patch-2.4.0test1-ac2 vs.
patch-2.4.0test1-ac10), looking for obvious differences, but could find
none in my passing knowledge of the linux kernel. The difference during
boot that I see is in 2.4.0test1-ac2, the kernel pauses (I imagine for
scsi bus reset), then proceeds to scan the bus. in -ac7 and up, it goes
straight in to initializing the next driver (usb), then in another
second or so, starts spitting the selection timeouts ad nauseum... so it
feels like something's changed how scsi host adapters are initialized,
which has busted at least my adapter...

If I can provide more info, or someone can send me further in to
debugging, please let me know. I'm subscribed to linux-kernel-digest,
but if you could cc- me, I'd appreciate it...

thanks,

Kimball
mailto:kimball@sgrail.com