Re: capabilities PATCH

From: Michal Kosek (michau@august.V-LO.krakow.pl)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 12:23:47 EST

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> There are several program development tools that are setuid to another user
> that switch back after initiating file activity, and put the resulting file
> in the users directory.
>
> Some database applications do this also.
>
> your "patch" violates the assumptions of any program that uses setuid() in
> the POSIX manner.

OK, but what should I do? I can't change the assumptions the programmers
do in any case... But I think that support for capabilities - as it is
done in my patch - should be put into the kernel (there are too much
suid-roots...). If you also think that it should be done - please help
me. I don't know how to do it without breaking neither security nor
POSIX-compatibility...

Michal Kosek