Re:

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 11:43:25 EST

acahalan@cs.uml.edu (acahalan@cs.uml.edu) writes:

> From: acahalan@cs.uml.edu
> To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Cc: viro@math.psu.edu
> Date: the sixth of June, in the year of our lord two thousand
>
> Alexander Viro writes:

> >> The key question, presumably, is which FSs can we unmount from the union
> >> without /foo/bar breaking? If all the FSs can be unmounted safely, none
> >> should be busy.
>
> This is right. Being "busy" is a traditional UNIX flaw.

Whether or not it is a "flaw" is arguable. The point is, this is the way it
works. Any sysadmin knows the way to umount mounted directories is to start
at the lowest mount point and work your way up - anything else is inviting
problems.

df:

host:/ blah blah /host/root
host:/usr ... ... /host/root/usr

The proper way to umount is "umount /host/root/usr;umount /host/root". I
dislike trying to put hacks in VFS because people don't understand how it's
supposed to work and automatically assumes that it's broken. What is broken
is people's understanding, not the way it works.

--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@pobox.com		940/367-2744 cell phone
			http://www.pobox.com/~erc