Re: journaling & VM

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 17:29:16 EST

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, James Sutherland wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Hans Reiser wrote:
>
> > Let me convey an aspect of its rightness.
> >
> > Caches have a declining marginal utility.
>
> Incidentally, this effect comes up in Andrew Schulman's book,
> Unauthorized Windows '95, in the section where he compares raw
> DOS, SmartDrive, Windows 3.1 with 32 bit disk access,

        [SNIP]

The difference here is that those systems do NOT have a
unified VM. Also, mmap() isn't used for program data and
lots of other stuff we're doing isn't done on those
systems.

In a world where you mmap() your executables and major
parts of your program data, properly managing all the
caches *is* important...

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.