Re: Problem with DVD-RAM in aic7xxx/Kernel 2.2.16

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 08:02:21 EST

On Thu, Jun 08 2000, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > I did, and it does work in 2.2.16. The BLIST_GHOST stuff was ripped
> > out as it was a hack and relied on a static list of DVD-RAM drives.
> > Drives are now detected at boot / module load time, but not in a
> > similar fashion. You can write directly to /dev/sr0 instead.
>
> Oh, Good, You fixed it properly Good work!

Thanks, only "problem" is that we loose partitioning support for now,
as we discussed privately some time ago.

> How do you avoid the static list of DVD RAM drives? As far as I can
> see the drive just reports that it's a CDROM, without any indication
> that "write" is also ok... Or is it one of the capability bits?
>
> kernel: sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
> ^^^^^ These perhaps?

This worries me, it should look like:

kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

(at least it does here). I use the DVD-RAM Wr bit in the mode sense
capabilities page to determine if is unit can be written normally.

> (Have you also gotten it to work in recent 2.3.x or 2.4.0 kernels? I
> didn't get it to work when I tried it about a month ago....)

Yes, 2.4.0-test1-ac series has the same stuff.

--
* Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
* SuSE Labs