Re: IDE CDROM and dd...

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 20:56:12 EST

Andries Brouwer wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 01:27:44PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 07 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> > > I have consistently had a problem with kernels >= 2.2.x where dd'ing
> > > from /dev/cdrom to a file fails.
>
> > > end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 1252596
> > > ATAPI device hdc:
> > > Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
> > > Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64, ascq=0x00)
> > > hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> >
> > It looks as if you are hitting a non-mode1 data area after copying
> > the first of the disk, cdda or maybe mode2? What disk is this?
>
> One problem that exists is that the readahead causes EIO after reading all.
> (The above error message looks like this - a seek error because the sector
> after the last does not exist.)

In test #1, the dd failed after 88MB of a 641MB file.
In test #2, the ISO was read 100%, and then dd failed.

I'm hopefully gonna get a replacement for my K6/Via test machine which
died recently from too much kernel development ;) That should have a
fast CDROM on it too, and I can do further tests.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.