Re: NTFS module is buggy

From: Steven Dick (ssd@mmae.engr.ucf.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 16:11:20 EST

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 10:05:28PM +0100, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> Which kernel version/what NTFS version is displayed when you do
> insmod/modprobe the ntfs module (should be in the syslog)?

I forgot to include that, sorry.

I have tried both 2.2.14 and 2.4-test1 (unpatched).

> me or post to the list your .config? Or are you using a stock kernel? If
> the latter, which distribution?

I can run any kernel people suggest. 2.4 is a bit painful, however.
If there is a newer version of NTFS, I'd be very happy to compile it
as a module and try it.

2.2.14 config follows. I am not using any modules currently,
but I can switch to using modules except for the network card,
as most of the system binaries (and modules) come via NFS.

> >The following causes the kernel to reboot (eventually) on most
> >machines I've tried it on... (variable: state of the filesystem)
> >
> >mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /nt
> >cd /nt
> >find . -type f -exec md5sum {} \;
> >
> >At first I thought this was network card related,
> >but now I think that NTFS (compiled for read only) is corrupting
> >memory, including network buffers.
> >(Cards it definately crashes with: eepro RTL8139)

CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_M586TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y