Re: how about SPX ?

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 19:00:59 EST

Followup to: <393FC27B.751775A7@timpanogas.com>
By author: "Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@timpanogas.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Alan,
>
> I would be happy to put in a full SPX interface, with NetWare
> compatible API's to make stuff easier to port into Linux and use.
> Sign me up. SPX is very easy to implement, and this will be my
> third time to implement IPX/SPX on an OS (did one for SMP NetWare
> and another for Wolf Mountain). I also noticed that while RIP/SAP
> is supported, but IPX/SPX NLSP routing is not. NLSP is a
> non-trivial implementation, however, and is A LOT of work.

Note that we already have a socket-compatible interface, which is the
interface of choice. A NetWare-compatible API should be done as a
user-space library.

However, would certainly appreciate your help in getting the IPX/SPX
implementation cleaned up and improved -- it clearly has been
suffering from neglegt/disuse -- and to get that user-space library
written!

This, combined with your NWFS implementation, should make Linux pretty
much a drop-in replacement for NetWare, I'm guessing.

        -hpa