Re: Floppy handling

From: Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 07:03:55 EST

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> > Is there any possibility of making Linux handle file systems on
> > floppies like MSDOS, so that there is no need to explicitly mount and
> > unmount a floppy drive in order to access floppies through the file
> > system?

> Currently the best approximation is automount.

Actually, Stephen Tweedie had a nice toy for 2.0 (and
I believe that the Mandrake people have ported it to
2.2) called "Supermount".

It works like an automount derivate, but (this from
memory, so may be slightly incorrect):
 * doesn't need an extra level of mountpoints
 * doesn't consider the filesystem busy if it's only
   used by pwd
 * syncs the filesystem when the last file is closed

I don't know about the last bits, but the first two
match very closely yuor union-mount scheme, as I see
it.

Matthew.