RE: [patch-2.4.0-test1-ac11] small update to microcode driver.

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 10:33:03 EST

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, James Sutherland wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
>
> > yes, there is - the lack of ability to bind a userspace process to a CPU
> > is the main reason why I implemented it differently from the other
> > "classical" implementations.
>
> This would be a nice feature to have in a few other contexts as
> well; for a simple example, when I'm running SETI@home on my
> machine, I really want one instance on each CPU. There's no
> point in having two instances sharing a single CPU, while
> another task uses the first; if I could lock one instance to
> each CPU, there would be some performance increase.

Not really. It would mean that the priority of the non-running
SETI@home will increase (slightly) and that your running
process will switch CPU when its priority gets lower than that
of the non-running seti...

Of course this doesn't have to happen, but to be honest I think
that the alternative is worse. Suppose that the seti on the
"busy" cpu doesn't get run, and another process in the system
needs a kernel lock that that seti happens to hold ... system
activity will stall for quite a while until the calculation is
over and the seti@home is able to proceed and release the lock.
Which could take a long time ...

regards,

Rik