Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 15:18:49 EST

thebs@theseus.com (Bryan -TheBS- Smith) writes:

>Sysadmin cutting in. I'm not responding to give either praise nor

Same here...

[...]

>I'm building a new fileserver in July. It will house over half a
>terabyte of data, which will, in all likelihood, be augmented to
>over a Terabyte within a year. This fileserver will be responsible
>for housing the files for a 32-bit SoC (system-on-a-chip) design,
>with Solaris, Linux and NT clients. We throw data around like it
>is a rag doll, checking in files as large as 1GB into CVS.

Sorry to burst Hans' bubble here, but IMHO ReiserFS ist not ready for
prime time. But then again, I was using the 3.5.18 on a SCSI RAID5
running off an AIC7XXX controller under 2.2.15pre17. I used a
Postgresql 6.5.3 database on this ReiserFS partition. Baaad idea. The
database started losing tables, corrupted tables, the same query two
times in a row returned different numbers of results and I can not
count how often the front- and backend died with "corrupted memory".
I'm back on ext2, the box is now rock-solid. This is not my idea of an
industrial strength file system. I like the performance of ReiserFS in
all benchmarks. I love it with my 240 Gig Typhoon driven Newsserver. But
at least the Postgresql usage pattern corrupted the filesystem.

        Sorry
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen --             hps@tanstaafl.de
TANSTAAFL! Consulting - Unix, Internet, Security

Hutweide 15 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 "There ain't no such D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20 thing as a free Linux"