CML@ 0.3.0 is available

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 15:50:00 EST

Release 0.3.0:
        * Complete rewrite of the deduction algorithm. It is now guaranteed
          to find all side effects. Deduction algorithm is now documented,
          with an explanation of why it isn't a full SAT algorithm.
        * Field-mode editing help now actually works :-)

The latest version is always available at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/kbuild

CML2 is nearing feature-completeness. That is, it is now almost completely
capable of doing the job I envisioned for it, modulo any bugs in the
implementation. Here are the remaining items on my TO-DO list:

* Need a better way to edit long field values in curses mode.
  Giacomo Catenazzi suggests:
>Long string support: Display it as now (only the first few char). If a
>user select it, it go like 'choice' in a new windows/menu, displaing the
>whole string, allowing also to modify it.
  There also needs to be an undo or revert command for text fields;
  perhaps ESC or ^G.

* Implement a stack of "weak" bindings for each symbol, each associated
  with the symbol that forced it. A user setting overrides all weak bindings,
  otherwise more recent ones have priority over older ones. Whenever a symbol
  changes value all the weak bindings it forces go away (then it may make new
  ones). Indicate weak bindings with a distinguished foreground color.

* UI tuning. We need to figure out how to resize the Tk cmlconfigure panel
  so that a larger-than-default piece of the scrolling widget set is painted.
  The obvious way with wm_geometry doesn't work, and Tk's documentation in
  this area is scanty and confusing.

--

What is a magician but a practicing theorist? -- Obi-Wan Kenobi, 'Return of the Jedi'