Re: Running Untrusted Code in a Restricted Process

From: Jeff Dike (jdike@karaya.com)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 17:43:22 EST

> What I'm talking about is providing finer granularity for what system
> calls a process can make. A process that can't make system calls
> cannot delete files, make network connections, or make DOS attacks on
> RAM, CPU, or other system resources. Ever action is monitored by the
> host process, which is trusted code.

In order to implement all this stuff, you need all kinds of new cruft in the
kernel, and some in the system call path.

I better way to do this (IMHO) is with a dedicated sandbox arrangement. My
user-mode port of the kernel (http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net) is one.
It gives you a virtual machine whose disk space consumption, cpu consumption,
memory comsumption, and network traffic can be completely controlled.

Plus, it's all in user-space. Nothing needs to be added to the kernel at all.

                                Jeff