Re: Debugging kernel over serial console?

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 18:30:16 EST

According to Perry:
> How about making use of the so-called "break key" that can be
> sent over the serial link by just about any terminal emulator?
> When one is using a serial combination, the first character
> after receipt of such is taken as being a SysRq code and acted
> on as if pressed with SysRq.

I wrote code for that. And it has been in the development kernel
for quite some time now - since 2.3.20 or so, though I still need
to submit the update to "sysrq.txt" to Linus.

Just enable serial console and sysrq, then send a break and press ENTER.
You will get a short usage summary. Then send a break and the sysrq
command you want to execute.

A patch for 2.2 kernels is available at

ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/kernel/v2.2/

(The 2.2.15 patch applies to 2.2.16 as well with some fuzz)

Mike.