Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 22:46:16 EST

Chip Salzenberg (chip@valinux.com) writes:

> According to Hans Reiser:
> > Your hypothesis of distribution neutrality by kernel contributors
> > lacks empirical support.
>
> It's not a hypothesis. It's a statement of his personal experience.
> Either he's lying or he's telling the truth, but he's *not* guessing.

Either you quoted the wrong part, or you're making an unjustified assumption.
I dn't see anything about guessing in that quote.

> > [...] the distributions are engaged in a bitter and contentious
> > battle for control, they spend large amounts of money out of fear
> > that some code space will fall under control of the other, and their
> > objective in obtaining control is to influence who is cooperated
> > with and who is frustrated.
>
> This reads like a paranoid delusion.

<sarcasm>

Aha! I see you didn't deny it! There must be something to it! Notice that
he posts from, and therefore by implication is speaking for, VA Linux!

</sarcasm>

It could be true. I don't think anyone on this list is in a real position to say, one way or the other. I've seen stranger games played in the name of market share. <shrug>

--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@pobox.com		940/367-2744 cell phone
			http://www.pobox.com/~erc