Re: Floppy handling

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@cats-chateau.net)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 22:47:40 EST

On Fri, 09 Jun 2000, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

>> And by default it would be white text on a blue background...
>>
>> Sound familiar? :-)
>>

>And this is relevent because? Does this mean we shouldn't have a graphical
>user interface as well? :-) Well I perfer text mode anyway so thats ok
>with me. Besides is there another feasable way to prompt a user for action
>from the kernel? Furthermore as it stands right now if I am in X Windows I
>will not see and kernel error messages, this would work around that. I
>would say this much, if implemented it should be optional.

This has been covered several times:
1. the kernel doesn't know who to contact.
2. No one may be logged in
3. the console may not be logged in, but other users are logged in over the net
4. If a daemon recieves the message, who gets the output?
5. root doesn't have access to the X server
6. the person logged in (using X) may not be authorized to answer.