Re: Floppy handling

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 01:13:06 EST

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jun 2000, Anthony Barbachan wrote:
> >>
> >> And by default it would be white text on a blue background...
> >>
> >> Sound familiar? :-)
> >>

> >And this is relevent because? Does this mean we shouldn't have a graphical
> >user interface as well? :-) Well I perfer text mode anyway so thats ok
> >with me. Besides is there another feasable way to prompt a user for action
> >from the kernel? Furthermore as it stands right now if I am in X Windows I
> >will not see and kernel error messages, this would work around that. I
> >would say this much, if implemented it should be optional.
>
> This has been covered several times:
> 1. the kernel doesn't know who to contact.
> 2. No one may be logged in
> 3. the console may not be logged in, but other users are logged in over the net
> 4. If a daemon recieves the message, who gets the output?
> 5. root doesn't have access to the X server
> 6. the person logged in (using X) may not be authorized to answer.

If this would really be a useful feature, probably the best approach is
for the user interface handling the drive to take care of it?
(KDE/Gnome/whatever could just provide a graphical mtools frontend; if the
disk is removed inappropriately, they'll get an error, which they can take
care of by shouting at the user or whatever.)

Kernel-side, we don't really know enough about what is going on - whose
disk it is, where to send the message, etc.

James.