Curious: syncookies ready for distributed syn flooding?

From: Xuan Baldauf (xuan--lkml@baldauf.org)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 14:01:23 EST

Hi,

local german press tries to create a "cracker hype", because it was
discovered that there were some trojans successfully out there (guess
for which OS. ;o)). Some months ago, I read about "DDoS", syn flooding
from different, probably spoofed, source addresses. I also read that
it would be relatively easy to get rid of the problem by letting a
firewall blindly accept incoming tcp connections and then forward the
initial request after the originating host approved the connection.

Now the question: Are syncookies exactly that without need for an
extra firewall? Are they only destination-port and not
source-ip-address specific? As a conclusion, will linux server stay
alive when others starve due to too high load, therefore beeing
resistant against those attacks?

Xuân. :o)

P.S.: I know, if the tcp connection is open, it is open, and if a
server is waiting for request data which does not come for a long
time, it's the server that has to close the dormant connection.