Re: Linux crash, probably memory-problem on Alladin V

From: Simon Kirby (sim@foo.netnation.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 19:08:06 EST

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 11:53:48PM +0300, Ville Herva wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 03:20:24PM -0300, you [Rik van Riel] claimed:
> > On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Dieter Schuster wrote:
> >
> > > I tried to compile (make -j zImage) linux-2.2.16 and the
> > > folowing message appears in /var/log/message:
> > >
> > > Poseidon kernel: Whoops: end_buffer_io_async: async io complete
> > > on unlocked page
> > > Poseidon last message repeated 47 times
> > > Poseidon exiting on signal 15
> >
> > Hummm, that doesn't look good...
>
> Just for the record, I get "Whoops: end_buffer_io_async: async io complete
> on unlocked page" messages in the logs every now and then with a dual PII
> 2.2.15pre17. The kernel has ext2compr, ide and raid patches on it, so it
> could be anything. The box seems very stable despite the log messages.
> (Well, there is a reliable way to lock up kernel solid via a e2compr bug
> that I just can't trace down. That's however easy to avoid.)

We have a machine here patched with e2compr used for large NFS remote
backups. We see the message as well, quite a few times during a backup
run. I'm fairly sure the "Whoops" message is coming from the ext2
compression patches, and it's even listed on the e2compr pages as a bug.

It would be nice to get to the bottom of where the message is coming
from...it's been happening for as long as I can remember, even back in
the 2.1 days, I think.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]